Thank you for your interest in volunteering. We know that your time is valuable. Together we will find a volunteer opportunity to suit your schedule.
Important Volunteer Info
**When volunteering at the school, please make arrangements to leave younger children with a sitter. Your help is more effective when you are able to focus fully on the job at hand. We hope this will not discourage you from volunteering and that you understand the reasoning behind this request. We appreciate your cooperation with this NISD policy. If you cannot find a sitter, there may still be jobs you might do at home.
Dates are subject to change.
All volunteers must complete a background check prior to volunteering. The form may be accessed on the NISD website: http://www.nisd.net/schools/volunteer/
When volunteering at Galm, please check in at the front office to receive your visitor’s badge. You will also need to sign your name and hours worked in the Volunteers Notebook located on the front counter of the office.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on a description below to find out more about each volunteer opportunity:
- Room Parent/Asst. Room Parent**
- PAL Volunteer**
- Book Fairs**
- Bike Rodeo**
- Winter Social
- Clinic Screenings**
- Staff Appreciation**
- Yearbook Committee
- Dolphin Pride Student Reward Program**
- PTA Membership**
- PTA Hospitality**
- Field Days**
- Box Tops/Labels for Education
- Picture Day**
- Movie Night
- Responsible for working with the teacher to organize two classroom parties (Winter and Spring)
- Solicits help and/or donations from all parents in classroom
- Must be able to attend both parties during school hours
- Agrees to follow the guidelines and policies established by the school principal and NISD
- Has first priority to attend field trips with the class
- Assists the teacher as needed with special activities upon mutual agreement
- NOTE: Fifth grade Head Home Room Parents will make up the Fifth Grade Promotion Committee, which plans the promotion ceremony in June
- “Parents Assisting in Learning” is an NISD-wide program which encourages all persons to volunteer in public schools.
- Anyone willing to donate at least one hour per week on a regular basis
- Volunteers are needed in many areas including each classroom, the school office, library, and more.
- An orientation will be held for new and returning PALs.
- PALs are permitted to use the Resource Room at the Northside Activity Center. Equipment training will be provided.
- A school fundraiser to help purchase educational books and materials for the library and fund the Accelerated Reader (AR) Program
- Help is needed with setup and breakdown of the displays and assisting students and parents in selecting and purchasing materials
- The book fair usually lasts for one week during school hours and one evening
- Sponsored by the San Antonio Police Department to promote bicycle safety
- Some volunteers are needed prior to the event (6:00/6:30 a.m.) to assist parents that are dropping off bikes on their way to work. These volunteers will monitor the bikes and will also make sure the bikes are labeled with student names and arranged by grade level.
- Other volunteers are needed to assist the police officer, judge riding events, and tally score sheets during the event.
- The Bike Rodeo usually concludes by noon.
- Free evening event for Galm families
- Several weeks prior to the event, volunteers assist in pre-assembling the materials for the craft tables
- At the event, volunteers staff craft tables to help children assemble crafts, assist with games, and serve refreshments
- Assist with hearing and vision screenings
- Organize donated clothing
- Assist with copying
- Volunteers are needed to help recognize our excellent staff
- throughout the school year.
- Provide home-baked goods
- Set up for events
- Assembly and distribution of goodies
- Assist in gathering photos and information needed to compile the yearbook
- Assist with advertising and sales of yearbooks
- Assist counselors with organization of Dolphin Pride cart which is used as an incentive to reward good behavior
- Volunteer will push cart to classrooms and allow students to select their earned item
- Done on a quarterly basis, approximately every 6 – 8 weeks
- Assist in promoting PTA membership and benefits
- Assist in collecting membership information and distributing membership cards
- Assist in preparing and serving refreshments at PTA meetings
- Assist in greeting meeting attendees and helping to distribute handouts
- Assist with member sign-in procedures
- Promote PTA-sponsored art contest
- Gather student entries and ensure they meet contest requirements
- Forward entries to Council PTA
- Recognize participants and winners at every level
- Assist P.E. teachers during various events (sack race, jump rope, tug of war, etc.)
- Assist in promoting box tops/labels for education collections
- Assist in collecting, counting, and submitting Box Tops/Labels for Education for redemption by the school
- Assist in keeping children in line while waiting for individual and/or group pictures to be taken
- Assist in creating and distributing flyers to advertise Movie Night
- Assist in setting up cafeteria on Movie Night and assist with concession sales